In this Memory Experts Interview, we talk with The Empowering Neurologist and the Author of the #1 NY Times Best Selling book, Grain Brain and his new book The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan, Dr. David Perlmutter!
Memory Experts Interview Takeaways
– Dr. David Perlmutter graduated from the University of Miami School of Medicine
-The different approach from traditional schooling
30 Years practicing Neurology
– He wanted to look at what was causing the brain to degenerate instead of just cleaning up the pieces after it had happened.
– Our lifestyle choices lead to issues with our brain
-Heart smart diet.
– Dementia or Alzheimer’s: 5.4 Million Americans.
-They haven’t found anything to prevent or treat it.
– Anti Alzheimer’s Higher Brain Function Diet
-Dramatically gets rid of sugars, and simple carbs.
– Higher in fiber to nurture the gut bacteria to help reduce inflammation
– Welcomes Fat into your diet
– Higher elevation of blood sugar leads to brain degeneration. Sugar is a brain toxin.
– Journal of the Alzheimer’s Disease – Mayo Clinic Study: Carbs 88% increase in becoming demented. Fat: Risk reduced be over 40%.
– How exactly does Inflammation affect the structure of the brain?
-Leads to the death of brain cells.
-Increases production of free radicals.
-Harm the energy producing part of the cells called the Mitochondria.
– -Apoptosis – initiated by the mitochondria. Tells the cell to commit suicide.
-Loss of volume in the brain
– Lose cells in the brain’s memory centers
– We can grow cells through Neurogenesis
-Exercise – University of Pittsburg
-Amplify the growth of brain cells in multiple areas including the hippocampus
-50% reduction in the risk of Alzheimer’s published by UCLA
Epigenetic event – exercise
-BDNF . Growth hormone for the brain cells
-Cutting back on Calories
-Add DHA, Omega 3 Rich Foods
-Whole Food Coffee Extract
Risk for Dementia is lowered for those with higher levels of BDNF
Dr. Permutter’s Exercise and Routine
Doesn’t eat until the afternoon
The day begins with a reading, inspirational messages.
Amplifies a sense of gratitude
Runs or gets aerobics every day
Does weightlifting, yoga, and he meditates for 15 minutes every day
Vitamin D, Turmeric, Magnesium, Fish Oil, B Complex, Coenzyme Q 10, Low Sugar and Carb Diet, Heavy Vegetables, meat if grass fed, Eggs, Fish and Fiber Supplements (pre-biotic fiber),
Lifestyle to help reduce inflammation
Thoughts on Berries and Fruits
-Definitely, add that to the diet just don’t overdo it. Focus more on vegetables.
45 year old’s memory vs 25 year old’s memory.